You probably know that protein is essential for optimum health, muscle recovery, brain neurotransmitter formation, and gut health, but most people get protein from food. So why the need for “extra” amino acids from a supplement like Master Amino Pattern (MAP) Essential Amino Acids Tablets?
The answer is that while you can indeed get good quality proteins from foods such as eggs, meat, fish and nuts, much of the protein in food is not converted into body protein – it instead just makes waste that the body has to get rid of (plus extra calories).
Almost every exercise enthusiasts and hard charging individual is protein deficient without realizing it – and this plays out as a nagging injury that won’t heal in an athlete, brittle bones in a post-menopausal woman, or constant colds in a child. Protein deficiency is very often something you are aware of, but you just can’t identify (and neither does your doctor!). But not getting enough protein may mean low hormones, or a low immune system or an inability to recover from a workout, and even risk of disease or cancer.
So what’s the solution? Amino acids. Amino acids are 99% utilized by the body to heal tissue and support all body functions. No other form of protein comes close!
Here’s why you should consider adding amino acids into your training or recovery protocol (even if you’re eating proteins from fish, meat, seeds, nuts and other foods sources):
- At the low end of the protein quality spectrum are whey and soy proteins – only 17% of their content is utilized by the body with 83% leaving as waste. It’s not that these are “bad” per se – but when you need fast protein, they simply don’t give it to you in the same way as amino acids.
- Food like meat, fish and poultry fare a bit better than protein powders, with 32% being absorbed and 68% being wasted.
- Eggs are the winners in the “real food” category with 48% being utilized with 52% waste.
- Now compare those numbers to essential amino acids – a massive 99% is put to work by the body, with only 1% leaving as waste. Not only that, but amino acids can be absorbed by your body within 23 minutes! And there is only 0.4 of a calorie per tablet, compared to a higher number of calories in meat, protein powders and eggs.
We can truly say that no other protein source compares with essential amino acids, which:
- Provides 8 essential amino acids for building protein.
- Is the most effective protein supplement for building muscle and bone.
- Promotes fast recovery after hard training.
- Increases energy levels.
- Supports a healthy immune system.
- Is a great source of protein during weight-loss or fasting – with almost 0 calories!
Need more information or comparisons between amino acids and “regular” protein? Use the links below.
- Master Amino Pattern FAQ’s
- MAP vs. Dietary Proteins and Protein Supplements
- How Ben Greenfield uses MAP for training and racing.
Finally, we’re often asked about the difference between EXOS Amino Complex Essential Amino Acids Powder and Master Amino Pattern Tablets, which are also essential amino acids. The primary difference is the delivery mechanism: the EXOS Aminos are in powder form and very convenient for mixing into water or other beverages, whereas the MAP tablets are small and portable for quick consumption when a tablet is more convenient. For example, you might use amino acids powder when you’re premixing a bottle before a race or workout, but might use a tablet when you’re out on a hike or trail run and not carrying a water bottle.